南京夜网_南京最新性息网

Powered by Wxequiptop!

History: Camera remembers

MIDDLE MANOR: Now home to just penguins and Maremmas, Middle Island used to feature a lighthouse, a lighthouse keeper’s cottage and a chart room.
南京夜网

THESE days, people aren’t allowed on Warrnambool’sMiddle Island except in carefully controlled tour groups.

So somemay be surprised to learn that over a century ago, people actually lived on the island.While nowadays the only residents are penguins and their world famous Maremma bodyguards, this photo shows the lighthouse, lighthouse keeper’s cottage and chart room, which probably took a fair amount of effort to build in 1858.

The image dates back to 1869and was snapped by travelling photographer Henry Beaufoy Merlin.

Two years after this photo was taken, the three structures were relocated to Flagstaff Hill, whichwas considered a more effective location for visibility whenaiding ships entering the harbour.

Information and image supplied by Warrnambool & District Historical Society.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments are currently closed.